Winter rice bowl with bacon and onion crispies
This nourishing little bowl of food will warm you up when you come in from the cold. At Modern Family Food we find that veggie-phobic kids can often be persuaded to give them a go when in the presence of a little bacon.
200g brown rice
1 small onion
1 small butternut squash
4 rashers of bacon
a handful of frozen peas
salt and pepper
cheddar cheese, for grating
Takes 30 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6. Cook the rice according to pack instructions (brown rice takes about 25 minutes).
2. Peel the onion, half and slice into skinny lengths. Drizzle a little olive oil in a frying pan and slowly crisp the onions over a medium heat (about 25 minutes). You want them crisp but watch they don't burn. Get the kids to come and stir them on and off.
3. Peel the squash and chop into bite-sized pieces. Pop on a baking tray and get the kids to drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Pop in the oven for 15 minutes or until soft and starting to char at the edges.
4. Meanwhile pop the bacon under a medium grill. Cook until crisp then remove to cool a little. When cool enough to handle, get the kids to snip it into crisp pieces using kitchen scissors.
5. Pop the peas in for the last minute or two of the rice cooking, then drain the rice and peas and return to the pan. Stir in the squash, grind in a lot of black pepper and grate in a little cheddar. Stir so that the cheddar melts. Serve topped with the crispy onions and bacon and a little more grated cheddar scattered over.