Christmas infinity sandwich
The Christmas version of our original layered infinity sandwich features leftover turkey or roast chicken, stuffing and cranberry sauce.
Makes 1 loaf
1 pain de campagne (or similar rustic loaf)
a few handfuls leftover chicken or turkey
salt and pepper
a few handfuls of stuffing
a good handful of baby spinach
Takes 10 minutes
1. Use a bread knife (adults only) to carefully slice a lid off the top of the loaf and set aside. Get the kids to scoop out all the inside of the loaf into a bowl so you just have the shell of the loaf left. Reserve the breadcrumbs for another use (try the topping for our Christmas fish finger sandwiches).
2. Slice up about half the cucumber while the kids shred the chicken or turkey.
3. Now you can layer up your sandwich. Start with all the chicken or turkey, spreading it out evenly across the base. Get the kids to season generously with salt and pepper and drizzle with a little olive oil. Now crumble up the stuffing and add in an even layer, using the back of the spoon to press it down as firmly as you can .
4. Spoon in cranberry sauce to taste, spreading it out in an even layer with the back of your spoon. Repeat the layering and pressing down process with the spinach. The top layer is the cucumber.
5. Press the bread lid down and either eat immediately or wrap in greaseproof paper and string and store in the fridge overnight under a heavy based pan to let the flavours develop.